Dedication of Holton Homes Bloomington’s West Side, July 1954
Several hundred folks sat in the shade of a box elder tree on Sunday, July 11, 1954, for the dedication of Bloomington’s new public housing project. The featured speaker was Charles E. Slusser, commissioner of the Public Housing Administration in Washington, D.C. Slusser attended Bloomington High School and later served as mayor of Akron, Ohio.
The housing project was named for Campbell Holton, who operated a wholesale grocery in Bloomington for nearly a half century. Today, Holton Homes, situated south of the 1400 block of West Market Street, includes 64 one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartment units.