Photo of the Week, 89: Livingston Flats—Gone but not Forgotten
Located at the northeast corner of East and Jefferson streets in downtown Bloomington, the Livingston Flats served as a mixed-use development (residential and commercial) for the better part of 45 years. Built and opened in 1884-1885, this photograph is undated though the top movie poster seen on the west wall of the Irvin Theatre (the building on the right) is for the 1929 crime/mystery picture "The Canary Murder Case" starring William Powell and Jean Arthur.
The sign at the corner of the building is for Mantle Sisters, listed in the city directory as "corsetieres." Although one would not know by this photograph, the Livingston Flats would soon be gone, for by late June 1929 The Pantagraph reported that workers were busy demolishing this lovely downtown building.
Today, this corner serves as a surface parking lot for Second Presbyterian Church and State Farm Insurance.