University Christian Church Collection

 

Processed by
Brigid R. McBride



Table of Contents

Collection Information
Volume of Collection:
One Box
Collection Dates:
1912-2008
Restrictions:
None
Reproduction Rights:
Permission to reproduce or publish material in this collection must be obtained in writing from the McLean County Museum of History
Alternative Formats:
None
Other Finding Aids: None
Location: Archives
Notes:
See also Photograph Collection-Subjects Churches & Temples-University Christian Church Normal

Historical Sketch

  The First Christian Church of Normal was established in 1872 at the corner of Ash and Broadway Streets. The congregation of this church grew and the church added more organizations and societies including a Women's Missionary Society and the Christian Women's Board of Missions. The church site was remodeled in 1887 to meet the needs of a larger membership. During this time, the church was the site of revivals and a heavily attended Sunday school.

  In 1913, a new church was erected at North and Fell Streets in downtown Normal. Most of the construction costs were pledged by members of the church. The new building was needed because of additional organizations and a larger congregation. The Thimble Society, Christian Endeavor, Chi Rho, and CYF groups were popular among the congregation.

  The First Christian Church of Normal became the University Christian Church in July of 1946. At this time, the Church started a missionary program sending members to Africa, a boys basketball team, and the Disciples Student Fellowship. A fire caused much water and smoke damage to the church on February 5, 1962. The Church voted to remodel and add an extension to the building in order to repair the damage. The addition was dedicated in November 1963.

  In the 1990s the church started sharing its space with community groups and other churches: Lincoln Community College, North Street Nursery School, Korean Church, and the Seventh Day Adventist Church. The University Christian Church performed services for MARC Center and SPICE program offering assistance to educate and train entire families of children with disabilities. The Church again remodeled the building at North and Fell and celebrated the 125th anniversary of the church.

  The Church closed its doors in 2008. The building was demolished in March 2009 and will be replaced by a multi-story commercial and residential building.

 
Scope and Contents Note

  The collection contains booklets produced by the University Christian Church, directories, outreach materials, budget materials, and Church histories.

 

 

Box and Folder Inventory

Folder 1:
History and Recollections
1.1
"A Century of Preparation, 1872-73 1972-73," University Christian Church, Normal, Illinois
1.2
" Memories and Recollections 125 Years of Praising God, 1873-1998," includes memories of members
1.3
"History of University Christian Church: Our Continuing Journey, 1973-1998"

 

Folder 2:
History-Dillon Manuscript
2.1
"First Christian Church of Normal," handwritten manuscript
2.2
"First Christian Church of Normal (Some Facts Concerning Its History Given at the Sixtieth Anniversary, June 11, 1933)," Jessie M. Dillon, 7 pages

 

Folder 3:
Directories
3.1
First Christian Church 1913
3.2
University Christian Church 1980
3.3
University Christian Church 1996
3.4
University Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) 2001
3.5
University Christian Church Membership Directory 2004-2005
3.6
University Christian Church Disciples of Christ, Membership Directory, 2007-2008

 

Folder 4:
Overview and Budget
4.1
"Fulfill Your Ministry-1970-1971," University Christian Church, includes information about church services and committees and provides projected budget for 1970-1971

 

Folder 5:
Gilliand Address and Memorial
5.1
Twenty-five Years of Religious Life in Bloomington, An Address by rev. James H. Gilliand, 1912, memorial and account of funeral

 

Folder 6:
Newspaper Articles
6.1
"Normal Christian Church Completed," Pantagraph, February 1, 1913, p.12

 

Folder 7:
Bulletin
7.1
Dedication First Christian Church, February 9, 1913
7.2
Easter, 1938 (2 copies)

 

Folder 8:
Outreach
8.1
Card, First Christian Church, outreach for services, Bible School, YPSCE, and societies, no date
8.2
Booklet, University Christian Church Disciples of Christ, outreach to community, no date
8.3
Card, University Christian Church in Normal, no date
8.4
Card, University Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), no date
8.5
Magnet, University Christian Church Normal, ILL 1873-1998
8.6
Reprint from Normalite issue September 15, 1939. "Our Hymnic Hour" on WJBC

 

Folder 9:
B.N.S. Class
9.1
B.N.S. Class, 1926 First Christian Bible School includes motto, flower, and meeting times with lists of names
9.2
B.N.S. Class, First Christian Bible School, 1928, includes motto, flower, and meeting times with lists of names (Mrs. D.E. Denman in pencil on front)
9.3
B.N.S. Class, First Christian Bible School, 1929, includes motto, flower, and meeting times with lists of names (2 copies)
9.4
B.N.S. Class of First Christian Church, 1940, includes list of names

 

Folder 10:
Building Program
10.1
"University Christian Church presents a plan of necessity," building plan and photographs included, no date

 

Folder 11:
Thimble Society
11.1
Card, First Christian Church Thimble Society, 1922, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses
11.2
Booklet, First Christian Church Thimble Society, 1925, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses
11.3
Booklet, First Christian Church Thimble Society, 1927, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses
11.4
Booklet, First Christian Church Thimble Society, 1928, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses
11.5
Booklet, First Christian Church Thimble Society, 1935, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses
11.6
Booklet, First Christian Church Thimble Society, 1936, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses
11.7
Booklet, First Christian Church Thimble Society, 1938, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses (2 copies)
11.8
Booklet, First Christian Church Thimble Society, 1939, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses (2 copies)
11.9
Booklet, First Christian Church Thimble Society, 1940, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses (2 copies)
11.10
Booklet, First Christian Church Thimble Society, 1941, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses (2 copies)
11.11
Booklet, Normal Christian Church Thimble Society, 1942, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses (2 copies)
11.12
Booklet, Thimble Society 1943, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses
11.13
Booklet, Thimble Society 1944, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses (2 copies)
11.14
Booklet, Thimble Society 1945, includes list of officers and monthly hostesses (2 copies)

 

Folder 12:
Town of Normal Centennial
12.1
Blank Certificate, Town of Normal Centennial, May 1965

 

Folder 13:
Second Christian Church
13.1
"Celebrating Ninety Years: Second Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)," Bloomington, Illinois,
13.2
"History of Second Christian Church (Disciples of Christ): History of Second Christian Church Disciples of Christ Mulberry and Evans," written by May Jackson and Helen Garner (2 copies)

 

McLean County Museum of History Collections and Research