Center School (Randolph Township) Collection

 

Organized by Torii Moré, 2010



Table of Contents

Collection Information
Volume of Collection:
One Box.
Collection Dates:
1862-1922
Restrictions:
None.
Reproduction Rights:
Permission to reproduce or publish material in this collection must be obtained in writing from the McLean County Museum of History.
Alternative Formats:
None.
Other Finding Aids: None.
Location: Archives.
Notes:
None.

Historical Sketch

The first school in this district was conducted in 1840 at the Stewart home by V. Fell. John Moore, later lieutenant governor of Illinois, taught the school and tended his wagon shop, one-half mile east on the north side of the present school site. Peter Folsom and his wife also taught there. In the early 1850s, a small site near the church on Main Street was leased for twenty years. A log house, often called Whig Row School, was erected. Elizabeth Gallager was the first teacher in the summer and Dr. Steward followed in the winter term. The site on the south side of the slanting road in Section 15 was purchased from Jonathan Houser in 1867; and a house was built the same year. Ex-school Commissioner C. P. Merriman was the first teacher in this building. An extra teacher was also employed to teach the one hundred and seventy-five pupils attending the school. The name of the school was suggested by Dr. Stewart, an early teacher, because the school was the "center" of all knowledge in the neighborhood. In 1916 a modern schoolhouse was erected. Continuing to be the center of worthwhile community activities, this school was given the state superior rating in 1939. At one time this was a very large district until Sparta District and the southern part of Eldorado District were taken from it. Center School was included in the organization of the Heyworth Unit 1948.

--Adapted from William B. Brigham's The Story of McLean County and Its Schools

 
Scope and Contents Note
This collection contains 2 ledger books, bills, attendance records, contracts, and correspondence.

 

Box and Folder Inventory

LOOSE ITEMS

Ledger 1
1862-1905 (some lists contain information through 1922)
District School Record ledger book
Bill of Sale for School Furniture (no date) taped on inside page of book
Names of Directors, 1862-??
District School Board in Account (Receipts and Expenses), 1862-1922
Record of Teachers, 1863-1922
Attendance of Pupils section, all blank
Proceedings of Board, 1862-1905

 

Ledger 2
1907-1915
Complete Term Register ledger book
Enrollment, Age, and Attendance of Pupils pages for the school terms 1906-1907, 1907-1908, 1907(should probably read 1908)-1909,
1909-1910, 1910-1911, 1911-1912, 1912-1913, 1913-1914, 1914-1915
(*Pages also share observations made by teachers on student progress, daily schedule, etc.)

 

FOLDERS

Folder 1:
Miscellaneous School Documents
1.1.1
Handwritten transcription of how the school came to be. Includes details of tuition, location of school, students, and teachers. 6 pages, dated November 1840 and goes through 1867
1.1.2
Teachers' Annual Report, year of 1914-1915. May 7, 1915
1.1.3
January 1, 1916. Bill from Center School to Heyworth Electric Light and Power Company, totaling $37.00 (from 1916-1919)
1.1.4
Uniform Contract, July 18, 1916. Contract to erect school building between John C. Givens, Board of Directors, and A. T. Simmons.
1.1.5
W. H McComb dealer in General Hardware, Tinware, Furnaces, Stoves, Buggies, and Farm Machinery- Tinwork and Plumbing a Specialty. Dated July 19, 1916. Contract agreeing to furnish and install pipes and furnace at Center School by April 1917.
1.1.6
J. E. Givens General Contractor and Brick Mason. Dated December 4, 1916. Bill totaling $104.95 for labor and materials.
1.1.7
Envelope postmarked December 23, 1916 from A. T. Simmons, Architect to Mr. A. M. Reid, of Randolph, Illinois. Inside is a letter and a bill for the school plans and specifications. $50.00.
1.1.8
Letter to the Board of Directors of Center School requesting the payment of $104.95 to John E. Givens. Dated March 1, 1918
1.1.9
Envelope postmarked October 30, 1919. Addressed to Mr. A. M. Reed, from B.C. Moore, County Superintendent of Schools. Inside are a number of items: a letter to J. A. Crookshank, A. M. Reed, and Dan Thompson, regarding the election ballots at Randolph Community High School, a warrant for holding election, a letter from T. T. Hunter regarding remodeling of school, blue-print type plans, and estimate totaling $1,360, dated July 23,1916.
1.1.10
Envelope postmarked December 29, 1919, addressed to Carwin Cruikshauk of Randolph , Illinois. Enclosed is a bill of sale from E. B. Rutledge (Tinning, Plumbing Sheet Metal Work).
1.1.11
Schedule of a Commons School kept by Leota Givens Powell. List of attendance from 6 March 1920 to April 1920
1.1.12
Directors' Annual Report dated April 8, 1922.
1.1.13
Torn sheet of paper with notes on back. Notes appear to be regarding budgets. On front is written June 30, 1923, $260.33
1.1.14
Monthly report for Earl Bell, grade 5.
1.1.15
Blank Chemical Order for the Dail Steel Products Company

 

Folder 2:
Township Treasurer's Semi-Annual Statements
Eight reports for the following years:
1.2.1
1913
1.2.2
1915
1.2.3
1916
1.2.4
1917
1.2.5
1918
1.2.6
1919
1.2.7
1920
1.2.8
1922
1.2.9-10
Two undated reports

 

McLean County Museum of History Collections and Research