Skip to Content
200 North Main St | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428
/ Blog / Post

Ritter School, 1941 Martin Township

Ritter schoolhouse, 1941.

Before paved roads, school buses, and district consolidation, there were something like 250 one-room schools in McLean County alone. Seen here is Ritter, a representative one-room school (in size and architectural style) in Martin Township, east of Bloomington-Normal. Ritter School was located about four miles south of the Village of Colfax and one mile north of what is today Route 9.
Ritter was organized as a one-room school district in 1881. The district consolidated with Colfax unit schools in 1948.

Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp is the Librarian at the McLean County Museum of History

Leave a comment