200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428
Home > Blog > Photo of the Week, 27: Shhhhh!

Withers Library Reading Room, July 1932

Many a “seasoned" citizen well remembers Withers Library, which stood at the northeast corner of East and Washington. Old Withers served Bloomington well until the erection and opening of the new public library on East Olive Street in 1977. Withers dates to 1888, though it did not become a tax-supported public library until 1894. It fell to the wrecking ball in 1978.


Written By

Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp is the Librarian at the McLean County Museum of History

Posted in Historic Photos

August 7th, 2013

0