200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428
Home > Blog > East Washington Street 200 Block, Circa 1956
Downtown Bloomington, 1956.

Seen here is the north side of the 200 block of East Washington Street about 1956. Partially visible on the left edge of this photograph is old Withers Library, the forerunner to Bloomington Public Library. The handsome building to the east of Withers is the Arthur L. Pillsbury designed Bloomington Club. Opened in 1910, this private club served as a refuge for downtown businessmen, doctors and lawyers. In the 1970s, both Withers Library and the Bloomington Club building were razed to make way for the Corn Belt Bank home office (today PNC) and drive-through.

In the 1950s, the apartment-like building east of the Bloomington Club served as professional offices. Beyond that and barely visible (other than a sign) was Don Moore’s Texaco service station. And across North Prairie Street was Hundman Motor Sales. That building, unlike the previous three, is still standing. Today it’s the Copy Shop!

What else catches your eye?


Written By

Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp is the Librarian at the McLean County Museum of History

Posted in Historic Photos

March 15th, 2016

0