200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

#Towns -- Normal

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Gamma Phil Circus March 1947

This unidentified Illinois State Normal University student prepares for the eleventh annual Gamma Phil Circus, held March 21, 1947, at McCormick Gymnasium on the ISNU campus.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Illinois State Normal University Quad, 1941

Aerial view of Illinois State Normal University, 1941.

This aerial view, looking north, shows the ISNU Quad in 1941.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

First Baby of the New Year January 1, 1965 Edition

Two women holding their newborn babies, 1965.

Shirley Agner and Judy Oesch hold their newborn babies. The Agners were from Livingston County, while the Oesch family lived in Normal. Both births took place at Mennonite Hospital.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Beats shoveling … Normal, Dec. 22, 1953

Two men out plowing the drive, 1953.

Three inches of snow had Don Locke of Bryan’s Standard Service Station out plowing the drive. Today, this site is occupied by Illinois State University’s Professional Development Building.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

One-Room School on the Move November 23, 1963

One-room Rose Hill School, 1963.

This shows the one-room Rose Hill School being moved to its new site on the Illinois State Normal University campus. In 1964 it was renamed for Lura Eyestone, an 1892 ISNU graduate who served as a faculty member from 1903 to 1939.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Three Yards and a Cloud of Dust ISNU vs. IWU, November 21, 1936

ISU vs IWU football, 1936.

Illinois State Normal and Illinois Wesleyan universities were bitter gridiron rivals going all the way back to 1887. Seen here is an unidentified Wesleyan runner getting by ISNU defender Edward Lesnick (#13).

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Jesse Fell House March 1947

Jesse Fell House, 1947.

Jesse Fell built this house in 1856-1857, nearly a decade before the establishment of the town itself. It was later moved to 502 S. Fell Ave., and then torn down in mid-August 1980.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Veterans Parkway as the Route 66 ‘Beltline’ December 1960

Aerial view of Veteran's Parkway, 1960.

This aerial, looking due north, shows the Route 66 “Beltline” which is now Veterans Parkway.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Jack Cruser ‘Ugliest’ Costume Winner, 1968

Young by with an ugly costume, 1968.

In 1968, the Normal Parks and Recreation Department and the Optimist and Rotary clubs sponsored a Halloween costume parade at ISU. Jack Cruser won the grand prize after taking first place in the “ugliest costume” category for those in the first grade or younger.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Corn map of McLean County December 1909

Corn map at ​The Farmers’ and Teachers’ Institute, 1909.

The Farmers’ and Teachers’ Institute was held in mid-December 1909 at the “Normal University,” as ISU was most often called back then. A highlight of the corn exhibit room was a county map made of corn by nine boys from Price School.

Read more…