200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

#Towns -- Bloomington

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Toy, toys, and more toys Christmastime 1953

Christmas shoppers, 1953

Downtown Bloomington holiday shoppers in mid-December 1953.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Holiday Shopping Downtown Bloomington, December 1953

Christmas shoppers, 1953

Shoppers out and about downtown Bloomington in mid-December 1953

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Santa No Replacement for Mama Downtown Bloomington, December 4, 1948

Crying child sits on Santa's lap, 1948

Santa arrived by train to Bloomington and spent much of the day greeting children. This little girl became separated from her mother, and not even Santa could calm her down.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Livingston’s Christmas Rush 1953

Christmas shopping, 1953.

Livingston’s was one of several gone-but-not-forgotten department stores. We know this wonderful photo was taken in mid-December 1953.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Christmas Seals, 1937

Christmas Seal design, 1937.

Richard Young is seen here showing an enlarged reproduction of his 1937 Christmas Seal design. More than 10,000 letters with Christmas Seals were sent in the hopes of raising money to fight Tuberculosis.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Santa at the Courthouse Square Downtown Bloomington, 1948

Christmas Parade ft. Santa, 1948

On December 4, 1948, Santa Claus arrived in Bloomington. Mr. Claus traveled to the Courthouse Square where some 6,000 children and their parents gathered on the Square to welcome Santa.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Jennie Wickizer’s Bakery Downtown Bloomington, undated

Inside of Wickizer Bakery, undated

Jennie Wickizer purchased the commercial building at the corner of Main and Mulberry streets and operated a bakery. She ran it for about 20 years.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Lost Bloomington Grace Methodist Church

Grace Methodist Church, undated

Grace Methodist Church, located on the northwest corner of East and Locust streets, was dedicated in July 1889. Grace and First Methodist merged to form Wesley United Methodist Church, which opened in February 1952.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

C.W. Frey’s Showroom Downtown Bloomington, circa 1929-30

Old car show room, 1929.

Clarence W. Frey & Sons was a longtime auto dealership and service center. Seen here is a Frey showroom with circa 1929-1930 Studebakers.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Kleinau & Son confectionary Downtown Bloomington, ca. 1915-1916

Staff of Kleinau's, 1915.

The staff of Kleinau & Son’s is seen here in front of the storefront. Kleinau’s sold candy, ice cream, and fruit at this location.

Read more…