200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

#Towns -- Bloomington

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Rockets, mid-1940s Twin-City Recreation Center

Photo of the Rockets basketball team

The Rockets were an informal team connected to the Twin-City Recreation Center, 318 S. Main St., Bloomington. They played games Friday night at the old Jefferson School. Reggie Whittaker (far left) was the head coach, and Willy Tripp (far right) his assistant.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Redd-Williams Legion Post January 1942

Seen here are Redd-Williams post members and auxiliary leaders planning a President’s Birthday Ball for January 30, 1942.

For much of the 20th century the Twin Cities had segregated American Legion posts. Seen here are Redd-Williams post members and auxiliary leaders planning a President’s Birthday Ball for January 30, 1942.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Lea Kallish Fashionable Hats, 1959

On February 8, 1959, The Pantagraph featured photographs of local women wearing the latest in fashionable hats.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Beich Plant Bloomington’s West Side, undated

aerial image of Beich candy factory and surrounding area

This undated aerial offers a wealth of fascinating detail.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Payless Drugs, July 1940 Downtown Bloomington

Photo of the interior of ​Payless Drugs, 317 N. Main St., 1940

Payless Drug: “It’s new! It’s different! It’s the latest in modern drug stores,”

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Face-off! Angler’s Club, Bloomington January 1938

Angler's Club playing hockey on Angler's Lake on January 31, 1938

Hockey players Carson, Bower, Smith, Rasmussen, Walsh, and Redman play hockey on Angler's Lake, one of several old play pits. The club has since disbanded.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Lathrop's Barbershop, 1914

Group of men, and a dog, posing for a photo in a barbershop, 1914.

George Lathrop was a Bloomington barber for many years. it was located on the 400 block of N. Main St.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Emerson School, Bloomington March 1976

Group of children hold hands in a circle at Emerson School, 1976

Built in the early 1900s, Emerson School was demolished in 1985. The old school site was converted to green space and is known today as Emerson Park.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Mystery Snow Scene - Mystery Solved!

Scene of a snowy street, undated.

This scene looks north where Clinton St. The house at the end of the street is gone: it was taken down when the intersection was reconfigured.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Mobile Home Living, Bloomington Catherine Heineman, January 1953

Woman standing in the kitchen of a mobile home, 1953

By 1953, there were at least 10 mobile home parks with a combined 165 “trailers” in the Twin Cities. What’s known today as Greenwood Mobile Home Court is located off Veterans Parkway on the south end of Bloomington.

Read more…