200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

#Towns -- Bloomington

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Lucy Orme Morgan Home Washington St. Party, Aug. 1949

Pony cart ride, 1947.

In 1947, a group of young girls from the Lucy Orme Morgan Home in Bloomington, which took in neglected girls from families unwilling or unable to care for them, were guests at the home of Violet Whitmer. Activities included rides on a pony cart.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Hang On Buddies! 1600 Block Fell Ave., Normal, Sept. 1963

Four boys riding two bikes, 1963

This scene shows four unidentified boys heading south on the 1600 block of Fell Ave. The white house is 1610 Fell Ave., and the house under the boys clasped hands is 1612 Fell Ave. No bike helmets in 1963!

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Billy Shelper Home Sweet Home Founder

Billy Shelper, founder of Home Sweet Home City Rescue Mission

Established in 1917, the Home Sweet Home City Rescue Mission (now known as Home Sweet Home Ministries) provides “food, shelter, and hope to the hungry, homeless, and hurting.”

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Gold Star Mothers Undated

​The American Gold Star Mothers, undated.

The American Gold Star Mothers organization consists of mothers who have lost a son or daughter to military service. This photograph is undated, though far left is Hazel Millard, founder and president of the Bloomington Gold Star Mothers chapter.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Ralston-Purina Co. Plant Bloomington, Undated

Ralston-Purina Co., undated.

In 1948, Ralston-Purina Co. opened a soybean processing plant on Bloomington’s west side. Soybean oil from this plant was used in a variety of animal feeds.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Bloomington Federal Under Construction, August 1957

Bloomington Federal Savings & Loan Association building, 1957.

The “new” Bloomington Federal Savings & Loan Association building under construction some three months before its grand opening in November 1957. Designed by visionary architect A. Richard Williams, additions to this bank building were made in the 1970s and 1980s.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

In the shades of Wesleyan’s elms … September 1938

Group of friends on the Illinois Wesleyan University quad, 1938.

Gathered here on the Illinois Wesleyan University quad in 1938 are students (left to right) Allan Goss of Lexington; Justus Olson of Foosland; Gertrude Ringler of Strawn; and William Ewalt of Ohio, IL.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Meadowbrook Subdivision July 1954

Meadowbrook under construction, 1954.

Meadowbrook, a 167-lot development southeast of Lakeside Country Club, was well under construction in this summer 1954 photograph.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Back to School Illinois Wesleyan, September 1938

IWU students entering and leaving Hedding Hall, 1938.

Seen here are IWU students entering and leaving Hedding Hall during the fall semester, 1938.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

State Farm’s ‘Midwest Office’ Move-In Day, July 15, 1957

New State Farm building, 1957.

In mid-July 1957, some 700 State Farm employees settled into their new quarters at 2309 E. Oakland Ave. In 2016, State Farm still occupies this office building.

Read more…