200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

#Towns -- Bloomington

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

General Telephone Building Empire Street / Route 9, August 1958

Aerial view of Bloomington, 1958.

An aerial view, looking north-northwest, shows the under-construction General Telephone Building.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Hawkins Studio & Camera Shop 100 N. Center St., Bloomington, undated

Hawkins Camera shop storefront, undated.

In 1965, Joseph G. Hawkins Studio & Camera Shop of Bloomington relocated from 214 W. Washington St. to this building. Hawkins began his photography career in Bloomington back in 1913 and he passed away in 1976.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

World War II Home Front Gas Rationing, July 1943

Gas rationing, 1943.

Ted Colteaux hands over his gasoline ration book to Lee Harris of Harris Super Service Station. During the summer of 1943, the federal government’s Office of Price Administration cracked down on abuses in the gasoline rationing program.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Halloween Party Mystery

Fraternal Halloween Party, 1918.

This photo is c.1918 and the room is in the Illinois House lobby. It is a Halloween party, though, with party hats decorated with pumpkins, black cats, and skulls.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Unitarian Church of Bloomington 209 N. East St., undated

Unitarian Church, undated.

Seen here is the old Unitarian Church in downtown Bloomington. This building was torn down in late 1959. Today, the downtown PNC Bank occupies this site.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Bloomington Boys Visit Wrigley Field September 13, 1947

Junior baseball player meets Chicago Cubs player, 1947.

Seen here is local boy Bob Lemme, Bloomington Junior Legion ballplayer, with Cubs right fielder Bill “Swish” Nicholson, one of his favorite players.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Aaron Copland at IWU February 1958

Aaron Copland appearing at IWU, 1958.

Composer Aaron Copland, one of the greatest American artists of the 20th century, was the featured guest for Illinois Wesleyan University's Seventh Annual Symposium of Contemporary American Music in 1958. He is is seen here listening to R. Dwight Drexler, professor of piano and theory, and his wife, Maxine.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Tilden-Hall’s Sad Demise February-March 1962

Destruction of Tilden-Hall Hotel, 1962.

Seen here is the removal of the neon sign of the Tilden-Hall Hotel, the six-story hotel located at the corner of Madison and Washington streets.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Tilden-Hall Hotel Downtown Bloomington, 1933

Old Tilden Hall Hotel, 1933.

the six-story Tilden Hall is seen here in September 1933. The hotel was built around 1900 and was first known as the Arnold (and then the Hills and then the Arlington).

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Illinois Terminal Railroad September 1950. Pt. 2

John W Bryan running a train, 1950.

Seen here is motorman John W. Bryan riding the Bloomington-to-Peoria Illinois Terminal light rail “interurban” sometime in September 1950.

Read more…