200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

#Religion

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church Bloomington, June 9, 1940

Baptist Church, 1940.

Founded in October 1865 as South Hill Baptist Church, Mt Pisgah Baptist Church has played an important leadership role in the local African-American community for 150-plus years. Seen here is Mt. Pisgah’s previous home at 701 S. Lee St., which the church built and opened in 1915-1916.

Read more…

Written by Tod Eagleton in Collection Highlights

Halloween Traditions

These place cards were among many Halloween party favors found in 2009 residing in a wicker trunk in the attic of the Lewis Green Stevenson House at 1316 E. Washington Street in Bloomington.

Although there are several theories regarding the origin of Halloween, or All Hallows Eve, its roots can be traced back to the ancient Celts of Ireland and Northern England. The Celtic New Year begins on November 1st and the festival of Samhain (pronounced “sow-win”) is celebrated on October 31st to mark the end of harvest and the beginning of winter.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Halloween Party, 1939 Holy Trinity Parish Kindergarten, Bloomington

Holy Trinity Parish Halloween party, 1939.

Holy Trinity Catholic Church's afternoon kindergarten class enjoyed candied apples among other treats during this Halloween Day 1939 party.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 109: American Passion Play, March 1956

American Passion Play, March 1956

Conceived by Bloomington resident Delmar Darrah, this local production of the American Passion Play is the oldest continuously performed Passion Play in the United States.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 49: Church League Hoops, ca. 1916

Photo of the Week, 49: Church League Hoops, ca. 1916

This photograph, circa 1916, shows the church league basketball team from Grace Methodist Episcopal (now Grace United Methodist) Church in Bloomington.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 30: Gertrude Fifer and Grandson Joe Bohrer

Unitarian Church, Downtown Bloomington. Easter Day, 1932.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 28: Waaaaaa!

Seen here are Sisters M. Eligia Trumper (right) and M. Aloysia Plum in the newborn nursery at old St. Joseph's Hospital, back when it was located on Bloomington's west side. Note the stork in the back corner and the Christ Child statue opposite Sister Trumper.

Read more…