200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

#Organizations

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Red Cross Nurse’s Aide Corps World War II Home Front

Red Cross WWII nurses, 1943.

Volunteers for this wartime home front program pledged 150 hours or more annually for non-technical nursing at stateside military and civilian hospitals. More than 200,000 women served in the Red Cross Nurse’s Aide Corps. Unfortunately, no one is identified.

Read more…

Written by Kylie Eastman in Historic Photos

Why So Serious? Knight of Pythias, 1934

Knight of Pythias, 1930s.

The Knights of Pythias, a fraternal society organized in the 1860s, maintained a Bloomington chapter for more than a century. Seen here are unidentified members of Damon Lodge No. 10. Although this photograph is undated, research tells us that the local Pythians celebrated their 64th anniversary in Bloomington on February 19, 1934.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Bloomington Bloomers Fans Field, 1913

Bloomington Bloomers, 1913.

For nearly of four decades Bloomington fielded a team in the Illinois-Indiana-Iowa League. In 1913, the Bloomers finished a disappointing seventh in the eight-team league.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Knights of Columbus’ New Home 1206 N. Main St., Bloomington December 1927

New Knights of Columbus house, 1927.

In December 1927, the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic service and fraternal organization, converted the Snell residence into their new club quarters. The K of C remained there for about a decade.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Ready, Aim, Fire! BPD Firing Range, May 1936

Bloomington Fire Department firing range, 1936.

Seen here are four members of the Bloomington Police Department taking target practice with their Smith & Wesson .38 service revolvers. The more industrious members of the BPD had earlier converted a hayloft in the garage wing of old City Hall into a combination clubroom and firing range!

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

East Twin Grove Farmers’ Picnic July 28, 1922

Farmers' Picnic, 1922.

In late July 1922, the McLean County Farm Bureau and the McLean County Home Bureau held a picnic west of Bloomington for farmers and rural folk from six area townships. A crew from Homestead Films, Inc. of Chicago was also there to shoot scenes for a seven-reel silent picture to be called “The Yoke of Age.”

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Holiness Tabernacle Normal, 1929

Holiness Tabernacle, 1929.

The Central Illinois Holiness Association, an interdenominational camp meeting grounds, is situated east of Underwood Park off Jersey Avenue. The association dates to 1883 and was first located in Farmer City, DeWitt County. The association relocated to Normal in 1894 and this property was acquired in 1916.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Normal Firefighters Undated

Normal Fire Department, undated.

These tough guys are Normal volunteer firefighters, though the photo is undated and no one is identified. For much of the town’s history, Normal’s fire department was operated on a volunteer basis. The department went professional in 1969, and nine years later, in 1978, Normal firefighters organized Local 2442 of the International Association of Fire Fighters.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

IAA Dedication September 1961

Aerial view of the Illinois Agricultural Association, 1961.

More than 15,000 folks attended the dedication of the Illinois Agricultural Association headquarters on September 7, 1961. This aerial photograph, with a view to the southeast, was taken that very same day!

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Illinois Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs Annual Convention, Bloomington 1918

Federation of Colored Women's Club, 1918.

The Illinois Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs held its nineteenth convention in Bloomington in late August 1918. Seen here are convention goers gathered before Wayman African Methodist Episcopal (Wayman A M E Church) Church at 804 N. Center St.

Read more…