The University School of Beauty Culture had opened a year or two earlier before this photo feature, and would remain in business at the same location into the early 1980s. Today, the main tenant at 417 North Main Street is Schertz's MusiCenteR.
On August 18, 1963, 19-year-old David C. Roberts of rural McLean County accidentally plowed his car into—and through—Adolph's Discount Store, located in the “Brandtville" corner of Illinois 150 and the U.S. 66 “Beltway" (now Veterans Parkway).
From 1932 to the mid-1940s, Paul Rhymer's “Vic and Sade" was one of the more popular and critically acclaimed afternoon radio shows in all America. Rhymer (1905-1964) grew up in Bloomington, attended Illinois Wesleyan University, and wrote for The Pantagraph before moving to Chicago and enjoying tremendous success in the radio business.
Located on the west side of today's Museum Square, Thompson's, a Chicago-based lunchroom chain, celebrated its golden anniversary in 1941 (see the sign above the employees).
Designed by local architect George H. Miller, this steel-frame “high-rise" with cream-colored glazed brick, was the tallest building in Bloomington upon its completion.
“Ike" Sanders and his first wife Allie Headley opened what's believed to be the first restaurant in Bloomington owned and operated by African Americans. The restaurant, which also doubled as a rooming house, was located at 306 South Main Street.
This undated photograph came to the Museum as part of a larger donation from Sybil Mervis of Danville, Illinois. The Stern Furniture Co. was a downtown Bloomington fixture for much of the twentieth century.
In November 1969, employees of Danville, IL-based Fairhall Elevator Co., while installing a new elevator at American State Bank on the east side of the Courthouse Square, were surprised to uncover remnants of an older elevator.
The Museum recently received a Normal Sanitary Dairy baseball uniform worn during the late 1930s and early 1940s. Located at 301 Broadway in Normal, the Normal Sanitary Dairy sold milk and other dairy products to McLean County residents from 1930 to 1959.