200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

#Businesses

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 123: Burkey’s Bowling Palace, Grand Opening, Aug.16-17, 1941

Joseph E. Burkey and his wife Leila opened their six-lane bowling “palace” in mid-August 1941, at 211 E. Front St

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 115: Threatened Downtown Beauty

Peoples Bank building (now Commerce Bank), corner of Center and Washington streets in downtown Bloomington

Seen here is the Peoples Bank building (now Commerce Bank), corner of Center and Washington streets in downtown Bloomington, sometime in 1935. The fate of this lovely seven-story commercial building at the southwest corner of the Museum Square is in the hands of city officials.

Read more…

Written by Tod Eagleton in Collection Highlights

Volunteers: Helping the Museum make history every day

Cane given to Isaiah Dillon.  The dates on the inscription, 1855 – 1905, correspond with Isaiah and Mary Fisher Dillon’s wedding anniversary.

The value of each object the Museum owns isn't measured in monetary terms but rather its provenance. Knowing who owned the object, when and where it was used, and for what purpose, helps us to preserve the history of McLean County.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 108: Beekeeping During Wartime Sugar Shortage

Beekeeping During Wartime Sugar Shortage

In 1942, Edward Adams discussed the benefits of raising honeybees during the sugar shortage and civilian rationing spurred by World War II.

Read more…

Written by Torii Moré in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 104: Wintertime Construction - State Farm Insurance Addition, January 1939

Wintertime Construction - State Farm Insurance Addition, January 1939

This image, taken January 25, 1939, shows two workers some 7 stories above tightening bolts in the dead of winter.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 102: West Washington Street Toughs

Boys and young men gather outside Paul Scholz cigar and tobacco shop, 1018 W. Washington St.

Boys and young men gather outside Paul Scholz cigar and tobacco shop.

Read more…

Written by Tod Eagleton in Collection Highlights

The Meyer Brewing Co.

Advertisement from the Bloomington City Directory, 1904

The McLean County Museum of History holds a small collection of artifacts used by the Meyer Brewing Company of Bloomington, IL, a local brewery that enjoyed much success prior to Prohibition.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 100: J.E. Will & Co. Fire, 1928, Deadliest in Twin City History

J.E. Will & Co. Fire, 1928, Deadliest in Twin City History

In May 1928, a 40-foot-high rear wall of the burned-out J.E. Will & Co. furniture store in downtown Bloomington buckled and collapsed in a shower of bricks and other debris.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 98: New Marathon Station Opens, 1957

New Marathon Station Opens, 1957

The Twin City's third Marathon service station opened in Bloomington in 1957. The station is no longer standing; today, it is home to Franzetti's Pantry Plus convenience store.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 88: The Old Switcheroo, November 1935

Seen here is the terminal room of the Wabash Telephone Company in downtown Bloomington. Outside lines terminated here and connections were made with the local switchboard.

Seen here is the terminal room of the Wabash Telephone Company in downtown Bloomington. Outside lines terminated here and connections were made with the local switchboard.

Read more…