Back in the 1960s when Illinois State University and Illinois Wesleyan University still played each other in football, pranks were common among the more mischievous members of the respective student bodies. For instance, several days before the September 23, 1967 game, IWU boosters "boosted" the Illinois State Victory Bell from its locked garage on the Normal campus. It was then clandestinely moved to the Wesleyan campus and chained to the old science building.
On August 18, 1963, 19-year-old David C. Roberts of rural McLean County accidentally plowed his car into—and through—Adolph's Discount Store, located in the “Brandtville" corner of Illinois 150 and the U.S. 66 “Beltway" (now Veterans Parkway).
Seen here is ISU pitcher “Buzz" Capra holding the NCAA championship plaque and giving the “victory" sign. Lee William "Buzz" Capra went on to enjoy a solid Major League Baseball career, pitching for the New York Mets and Atlanta Braves from 1971 to 1977.
This week marks the fiftieth anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, which occurred on the afternoon of November 22, 1963 in Dallas, Texas.
Built by Elmo and Arline Winterland in 1960, the Oasis Drive-In was a local Route 66 landmark. Does anyone remember the drive-in's “Luigi Burger," a hamburger with a special sauce?
Museum Librarian Bill Kemp stumbled across this photograph while perusing a collection of recently donated photographs. Bill knew that the smartly dressed figure in the middle was Don Munson, the now-retired on-air WJBC AM 1230 morning radio personality. Without knowing the context of this curious find, Bill decided to email Don Munson, who still lives in Bloomington-Normal and hosts a delightful Thursday evening jazz program on WGLT FM 89.1, Illinois State University's Public Radio affiliate.
This is the inaugural “Photo of the Week" from the Archive collections of the Museum.