200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

Archive of: Historic Photos

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Holiday Shopping 1932 Downtown Bloomington

Snowy Holiday shopping, 1932.

This snowy Depression-era scene shows the corner of Main and Jefferson streets on the northeast corner of the Courthouse (now Museum) Square.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving card, undated.

This “Turkey Day” card comes from the Museum’s Greetings Cards Collection.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Thanksgiving Preparations November 1952

Ed Peifer and shopper, 1952.

Ed Peifer of Peifer’s Madison Market shows a shopper the finer points of the Thanksgiving turkey.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Bloomington Municipal Airport Terminal, April 1964

Old airport terminal, 1964.

The period from Wednesday through Sunday around Thanksgiving is usually the busiest travel time of the year in the U.S. Fortunately for folks flying in or out of Bloomington, local airport facilities have expanded dramatically since 1964!

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Village of Colfax February 14, 1938

Aerial view of Colfax, 1938.

Village of Colfax, looking east. “A” is Main Street; “B” Center Street; “C” the Illinois Central Railroad’s “Bloomer Line”; “D” a lovely L-shaped row of Osage orange hedge that is gone today.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Three Yards and a Cloud of Dust ISNU vs. IWU, November 21, 1936

ISU vs IWU football, 1936.

Illinois State Normal and Illinois Wesleyan universities were bitter gridiron rivals going all the way back to 1887. Seen here is an unidentified Wesleyan runner getting by ISNU defender Edward Lesnick (#13).

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Anchor Aces January 1946

Anchor High School basketball, 1946.

Led by Bruce Taylor Donald Biefeldt, the Anchor High Aces finished the 1945-1946 season as the Colfax District champions before losing to Gridley.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Jesse Fell House March 1947

Jesse Fell House, 1947.

Jesse Fell built this house in 1856-1857, nearly a decade before the establishment of the town itself. It was later moved to 502 S. Fell Ave., and then torn down in mid-August 1980.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Trotter Fountain March 1957

Women standing in front of the Trotter Fountain, 1947.

The Trotter Fountain might be the most significant work of public art in the Twin Cities. The fountain stands near the corner of East and Washington streets in Withers Park, just south of the PNC bank building.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Heyworth Area Good Neighbors November 6, 1950

Corn pickers in front of corn crib, 1950.

A Corn Belt harvest time tradition involves farmers helping fellow farmers in need. Sixty-six years ago, in early November 1950, friends of Euel Roberts picked his 560-acre corn crop and then filled his crib.

Read more…