200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

Archive of: Historic Photos

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Christmas Seals, 1937

Christmas Seal design, 1937.

Richard Young is seen here showing an enlarged reproduction of his 1937 Christmas Seal design. More than 10,000 letters with Christmas Seals were sent in the hopes of raising money to fight Tuberculosis.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Santa at the Courthouse Square Downtown Bloomington, 1948

Christmas Parade ft. Santa, 1948

On December 4, 1948, Santa Claus arrived in Bloomington. Mr. Claus traveled to the Courthouse Square where some 6,000 children and their parents gathered on the Square to welcome Santa.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Jennie Wickizer’s Bakery Downtown Bloomington, undated

Inside of Wickizer Bakery, undated

Jennie Wickizer purchased the commercial building at the corner of Main and Mulberry streets and operated a bakery. She ran it for about 20 years.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Lost Bloomington Grace Methodist Church

Grace Methodist Church, undated

Grace Methodist Church, located on the northwest corner of East and Locust streets, was dedicated in July 1889. Grace and First Methodist merged to form Wesley United Methodist Church, which opened in February 1952.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Herman Glaser, December 1952 Stanford’s Toy Maker

Homemade mechanical toy, 1952

Stanford resident and retired farmer Herman Glaser displayed several of his personally designed and built mechanical toys. This included a working 32-inch Ferris wheel, a merry-go-round, and a yet-to-be-completed revolving Christmas tree.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

LeRoy’s CCC Camp August 1934

Aerial photo of LeRoy CCC camps, 1934.

LeRoy was home to a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) work camp during the Great Depression. Camp LeRoy opened in May 1934, and the unmarried young men stationed there worked on soil erosion control projects.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Herman Jack’s Christmas tree December 1952

Herman Jack holding young Christmas tree, 1952.

In 1950, farmer Herman Jack planted 1,500 evergreen seedlings. In late December 1952 Jack selected one of the surviving 1,300 evergreens.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

C.W. Frey’s Showroom Downtown Bloomington, circa 1929-30

Old car show room, 1929.

Clarence W. Frey & Sons was a longtime auto dealership and service center. Seen here is a Frey showroom with circa 1929-1930 Studebakers.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Kleinau & Son confectionary Downtown Bloomington, ca. 1915-1916

Staff of Kleinau's, 1915.

The staff of Kleinau & Son’s is seen here in front of the storefront. Kleinau’s sold candy, ice cream, and fruit at this location.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

One-Room School on the Move November 23, 1963

One-room Rose Hill School, 1963.

This shows the one-room Rose Hill School being moved to its new site on the Illinois State Normal University campus. In 1964 it was renamed for Lura Eyestone, an 1892 ISNU graduate who served as a faculty member from 1903 to 1939.

Read more…